Date:      Sun, 09 Jun 2002 20:54:53 -0400
From:      Paul Pathiakis <pathiaki@pathiaki.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Snapshot, Dump and 5.0

Hi,

    I just noticed that there is going to be a filesystem snapshot
capability in 5.0.  Is it possible that the dump facility will be able
to make use of this facility?  I ask this as my servers are getting to
be more and more heavily utilized and I'd love to be able to use dump
with a snapshot so as to limit the impact of my backups without having
to break mirrors and resync them later.  It would be a boon to sysadmins
using FreeBSD.  Also, it would put FreeBSD one step closer to having
storage array hardware features in the OS (like metadata updates with
Softupdates)

        Thank you,

        Paul Pathiakis