Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 1997 01:20:49 +1100 (EST)
From:      andrew@ugh.net.au
To:        gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-platforms@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Custom boot.flp (was Re: FreeBSD for VirtualPC? (on the PowerMac))

On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, Garance A Drosehn wrote:

> Secondly, I was wondering if FreeBSD will work under VirtualPC.

I beleive yes.

> I remember someone trying it and finding a bug in the VirtualPC
> emulation.  VirtualPC was recently updated, and I was wondering
> if anyone had tried FreeBSD after that update.  (the release notes
> for the VirtualPC upgrade have nothing that suggests this bug was
> fixed, but that may be just because they don't claim to officially
> support FreeBSD at the moment).

I think it works if you can make an installer disk with a kernel that
dosn't know about Pentiums.

 I am trying to do this at this very moment. In fact I have a message to
questions postponed asking how to do it :-)

 I got some help from jkh on IRC but still cant do it (I know its probably
obvious). Does someone have step by step instructions on how to od this? I
tried using /usr/src/release/doFS.sh but found that the system didn't like
disklabel a vn0 device with a boot record.

I cant actually do it to a floppy as i dont have access to the floppy
drive. Once i get it going I will use dd, ftp it to a DOS box...there must
be one somewhere...and use rawrite.

Thanks,

Andrew