Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 1995 10:36:30 +0000 ()
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        paulj@xs4all.nl (Paul Jongsma)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec PCI 7870?

Paul Jongsma stands accused of saying:

> Based on FreeBsd 2.1 I'd like to build a nice server based on a
> pentium system. The local computerdealer claims that the Adaptec
> 7870 controller he is offering is compatible with a 2940W controller.

One would expect so; certainly the 7870 is supported, whether its
implementation on this particular adapter is supported is less clear.

> Is this a fact? Will FreeBSD recognise this controller? Please email
> if you have any experience with this controller + FreeBSD.

The 7870 is a chip, not a whole controller.  It is, AFAIK, the chip used in
the 2940.

> Paul

]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile) 041-122-496        [[
]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[