Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 08:37:34 -0500
From:      Richard J Kuhns <rjk@sparcmill.grauel.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        jjr@grauel.com
Subject:   Problem with Intel Etherexpress Pro 10/100B and FreeBSD 2.2.2

What it boils down to is, it's only worked once.

Hardware: Supermicro P6DNF motherboard with 1 200MH PPro and 128MB RAM,
Diamond video card (PCI), Adaptec 2940UW, and the above mentioned ethernet
card.

Software: FreeBSD 2.2.2, from the Walnut Creek CD.

It worked once, generating messages about "Unknown PHY 7" -- I found in the
archives that Intel had revised the card, but that the message should be
harmless.  I also found that -current had a newer version of the driver
that included a definition for PHY 7, so I started downloading ctm files to
upgrade the machine (counting on the upgraded driver having been merged
into 2.2).

We had to shut the machine down before the download finished; this morning,
it locked up tighter than a drum when doing the ifconfig fxp0 -- the
keyboard LEDs wouldn't even toggle.  We rebooted single user && commented
out fxp0 in /etc/rc.conf, which allowed the machine to boot, but it hung
again when we entered the ifconfig, except in this case the cursor also
disappeared.

Did we just get a bad Ethernet card?

Thanks for any suggestions...
--