Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 1995 11:11:47 -0700
From:      "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Timothy Moore <moore@WOLFE.net>
Cc:        thomas@ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de, jmacd@freefall.cdrom.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What people are doing with FBSD

>>> Timothy Moore said:
 >    Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 02:15:24 -0700
 >    From: "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
 >
 >    >>> Thomas Gellekum said:
 >     > I have never seen the question actually answered:  is anyone working
 >     > on a port?  What kind of experience is required (if _you_ say you
 >     > don't have enough system-level experience I probably shouldn't be
 >     > asking this)?
 >     >
 >     > tg
 >
 >    A quick search showed that there is a Linux mailing list and an Ftp site
 >    for the linux work. substance.blackdown.org:/pub/Java/linux
 >
 >    There was a reference to Nat Williams for porting the Sun-style Makefiles
 >    to gnu-style Makefiles. So I am wondering if anyone out there
 >    is holding back info on the current java port for FreeBSD :)
 >
 > 	   Amancio
 >
 > I've been trying to feel this out myself over the last couple of days.
 > There have been no messages on the java-porting list about FreeBSD
 > since you kind of said you gave up, Amancio.  If no one speaks up, I'm
 > just about committed to spending 2 months full time on such a project
 > starting Aug. 1.
 >
 > It's a daunting task.  Never mind the Sparc assembly code, which seems
 > to be mostly gratuitous except for some code that flushes register
 > windows.  There are a *lot* of dependencies on the Sparc register set,
 > stack layout, Solaris threads, etc....  Ah, well.  I can never resist
 > a grungy language port.

BTW: I gave up because of the stupid issues on portability . Like at the
time heavy dependencies on Solaries' make. I started to make sense out of
them by doing the make on a my netcom account and  btw netcom is running
Sun OS which also couldn't also make java at the time however it the make
process got far enough to give me clue as to what was going on.

I am sure that the task can be accomplish however in my case it was more
work than it was worth it. Specially, after I compiled guile in less than
1/2 hour.

Talking about guile, in guile's todo list it was mentioned that a port
of tkWWW was a target goal. I wonder if anyone has done it?

	Enjoy,
	Amancio