Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2000 14:46:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Kachun Lee <kachun@pathlink.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Extreme high load with 12/7 4-releng

::Sorry to say, the system performance degraded with the high load. In
::telnet, it felt like a system with load of 40. With the 'working' FreeBSD,
::the servers would still performance better (load >10) with twice the
::connections. I still suspect that it was related to the server start to
::swap heavily even with 200+M of Inact memory? The strange part was the swap
::Used stayed relatively low (>20M), but, with top, the swap In and Out
::changed every refresh.
::
::Regards
::
::Best regards
:
:    That is very odd.  Very very odd.  Do a 'systat -vm 1' and let it run
:    a while... observe the pagein and pageout statis in the upper right
:    for 'VN PAGER' and 'SWAP PAGER' and tell me what you see.
:

    I think I have an idea as to what might be wrong.  I'm going to
    experiment a bit over the next few days to try to solve the problem.
    I think my low-memory patch might have blown the pageout algorithm.

					-Matt