Date:      Tue, 02 Nov 1999 07:43:36 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@chomsky.Pinyon.ORG>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Threads models and FreeBSD. (Next Step)

%
%Here is an updated version of the rather simplistic requirements for a
%threads model for freeBSD.
%

%It is notable that we already support Linux kernel threads on FreeBSD
%better than we support a native threads model. This is because we support
%the 'clone' system call through our rfork()  code, and that is their basis
%for threading. As is common for this group of people, we have not adopted
%the Linux approach because it is considered to be 'too simplistic',
%assigning a separate kernel schedulable process to run each thread.
%
%Having said that, Amancio Hasty at one stage wrote a set of threading
%primitives to allow Kafe to run on FreeBSD using this scheme of threading,
%and Richard Seaman has a port of the Linuxthreads code to freeBSD at his
%website, http://lt.tar.com/ . This represents a useful piece of work and

Richard seems to have been diverted in recent months, I have a
copy of his port made freestanding and building against this
weeks -current sitting at

http://www.Pinyon.ORG/ace/lthreads-991029.tar.gz

This unfortunately does not work on SMP due to some problem
with signals, previously it worked fine on some heavy duty
applications.  It still works fine on -current single processor.

Russell