Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 12:57:05 +1000
From:      "John Saunders" <john@nlc.net.au>
To:        "FreeBSD stable" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   DNS/host file in 4.0-STABLE

While setting up a local named as a cache I came across some strange
behaviour in name lookups. It doesn't seem to consult the hosts file.

I have setup named as authorative for a domain called "home" under
which I have configured A records for my home network. It is also
authorative for reverse lookups of 192.168.1.* and 127.0.0.*. I
have set the "forward only" option and configured the "forwarders"
option to the list of IP addresses for my ISPs DNS servers. The idea
is that all queries for my local network will be satisfied from the
zone files, however anything else will be forwarded to my ISPs DNS.

All this works as expected. However to add a second wrinkle, I use
ppp in -auto module to demand dial as needed. However I block DNS
queries from causing a connection (otherwise sendmail would be
costing me heaps in phone calls). With this in place I can telnet to
an IP address and the link comes up. If I telnet to a hostname the
IP address is never resolved (DNS queries are blocked remember) and
the link doesn't come up. To get around this I decided to add the few
hostnames, that I actually telnet to, to my /etc/hosts file. It doesn't
seem to have any effect.

Even though /etc/hosts has an IP address for the hostname I specify
on the commandline to telnet, it still wants to do a DNS query. Yes
my /etc/host.conf file lists the hosts file as first preference and
bind as second preference.

My /etc/resolv.conf is:

domain home
options no_tld_query
nameserver 127.0.0.1

The /etc/hosts entry is like the following (IP changed)

192.168.2.1    host.domain.com.au host

It doesn't matter if I use host or host.domain.com.au on the command line
to telnet, the hosts file never returns a match and the DNS is queried.

P.S. At some point the hosts file as gone from entries like the following

192.168.2.1    host.domain.com.au host
192.168.2.1    host.domain.com.au.

..to just a single entry without the '.' terminated line. I believe that
it worked as I expect in early 3.x versions.

Thanks.
        .     | John Saunders  - mailto:john@nlc.net.au            (EMail) |
    ,--_|\    |                - http://www.nlc.net.au/              (WWW) |
   /  Oz  \   |                - 02-9489-4932 or 041-822-3814      (Phone) |
   \_,--\_/   | NORTHLINK COMMUNICATIONS P/L - Supplying a professional,   |
         v    | and above all friendly, internet connection service.       |