Date:      Mon, 13 May 2002 09:08:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backing up my CDs [was Re: My horror story]

On Fri, 10 May 2002, Eric Anderson wrote:

:Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
:> > the problem is that home storage has far outstripped the ability of home
:> > backup systems. while you can buy a hard drive that can store 60gb for
:> > about USD$120 these days, getting a tape drive system that can do the same
:> > per tape will set you back around USD$2,000, not counting the cost of the
:> > tapes.
:>
:> So how about buying two or more hard drives and striping/mirroring
:> them, eg vinum?
:
:Striping will only lessen your redundancy, but mirroring will help.. Many new
:motherboards have built in IDE RAID (level 0,1) now, and they work very well.
:Usually, I slap another drive in, and have tar's (compressed) run via cron.

Mirroring only helps with redundancy due to hardware failure.  I've seen
multiple mirrors perfectly working with unusable filesystems on them due
to metadata problems.  RAID[0|1|0+1|3|3+1|5|5+1...n|n+1] is not in any way
shape or form a replacement for backups.

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"