Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 2010 21:26:41 +0000
From:      RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/src/UPDATING

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 18:35:27 +0000
Jamie Griffin <jpg@mythic-beasts.com> wrote:

> I have a really simple question about updating my system.
> Does /usr/src/UPDATING say when I need to update the kernel and world
> (obviously after updating the sources using csup/cvsup). I've been
> assuming it does but i'm not sure i'm following it correctly. Or,
> does it just have information about 'issues' that may affect the
> update/upgrade process.

It describes updates to the branch  and gives any special instructions.

Since you are using a security branch all the the updates are security
related or severe bugs. So look at the most recent update, currently p2
and compare it with the end of your version string.

You don't have to download the source BTW, you can get the UPDATING file
from here:

http://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/8.0/UPDATING