Date:      Mon, 13 Feb 2006 13:28:59 -0000
From:      "Steve Coles" <stcoles@tripos.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SMP ATA woes on 6.0-RELEASE

I have a strange deterministic boot problem with ATA devices on 2-way dell
precision machines which boot from their SCSI disks. I have 4 of these
boxes, and the only difference is the add-in ATA controller in the affected
box.

A good summary would be "which kernels work":

a) GENERIC from the distribution boots fine (uniprocessor)
b) GENERIC built from 6.0-RELEASE boots fine
c) SMP built from 6.0-RELEASE hangs during the ATA probe of my disks
d) <custom> SMP kernel built from 6.0-RELEASE with no ATA options/devices
boots fine
e) <custom> SMP kernel built from 6.0-RELEASE with ATA options/devices hangs
as in c) above

.. It gets weirder

F) <custom> SMP kernel built from 6.0-RELEASE with no ATA options/devices
boots fine (same as option d) above, then I load the ata modules from my
normal login shell:

$> kldload atapci (loads ata.ko etc )
$> Kldload atadisk

.. And it produces a stable, fast, ATA disk subsystem

G) <custom> SMP kernel built from 6.0-RELEASE with no ATA options/devices
boots fine (option d) above with a

atapci_load="YES"
atadisk_load="YES"

In loader.conf produces the same hang as c)

So...I presume the problem is related to the fact that the second CPU must
be launched else the ATA code gets confused with my ATA subsystem (Naieve
explanation of facts)

Q: Is this a known bug ?
Q: If it is, is it fixed in -STABLE ?
Q: If so - when is a good cvsup date that gives me a fixed ata driver with a
"stable stable"

Help is much appreciated

Cheers

Steve