Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 2004 18:17:09 +0200
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Bob Melson <melsonr@earthlink.net>
Subject:   Re: A question about dependencies

--Boundary-02=_FYZ4Ar8guZ/0dOG

On Tuesday 29 June 2004 10:14, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 10:43:02PM -0600, Bob Melson wrote:
> > Briefly, I discovered on my system some 124 ports of 600+ that show
> > python as a requirement.  Granted that many are probably cascading
> > requirements:  A requires B which requires C which requires python, so A
> > and B are shown  to depend on it; this still seems to me to be a proble=
m.

> Actually, there are just two ports that directly depend on python, and
> through which the majority of those other ports you mention inherit
> their python dependence.  Those ports are:
>
>     textproc/libxml2
>     textproc/libxslt
>
> both of which are important parts of the Gnome environment.
>
> If you don't want python installed on your system, then there's a
> simple solution.  Set 'WITHOUT_PYTHON=3Dyes' in /etc/make.conf and
> reinstall all of the ports that depend from those two.

In the special case of python, I would agree that there are unnecessary=20
dependencies recorded - it seems libxml and libxslt do not have a runtime=20
dependency on python, just a buildtime dependency to build python bindings.=
=20
However, USE_PYTHON can either record both run & buildtime dependencies non=
e=20
=2D perhaps another knob is needed here. Comments?

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org