Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 1996 11:04:28 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com (Andreas Klemm)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: help on newfs and a new partition

Andreas Klemm writes:

> On Fri, 4 Oct 1996, Doug White wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 4 Oct 1996, Sergios wrote:
>>
>>> please somebody help me. I have a 700 Mb free space on wd1 and I
>>> want to move
>>> /usr/local there. with other unices I have made a mount <mynewpartition>
>>> /mnt and
>>> (cd /usr/local; tar cf - .)|(cd /mnt; tar xfv -)
>>
>> That'll work once the filesystem exists.
>
> I recommend using the tar's p flag when extracting the stuff to
> get the same permissions after extractimg ;-)
>
> otherwise you might wonder why permissions of all files changed
> to root regarding to root's umask settings ;-)

This doesn't happen under FreeBSD.  Did you see it under System V?  In
any case, this (traditional) method of copying is no longer
necessary.  cp has an -R option which says "recursively copy
subdirectories", so instead of

  (cd /usr/local; tar cf - .)|(cd /mnt; tar xfv -)

you can write

  cp -pR /usr/local /mnt

The -p option has the same meaning as with tar: keep the original
permissions.

>> Take a look at the disklabel(8) man page for details.
>
> Wasn't this covered by the handbook ?! Or wasn't the recommendation.
> to use the /stand/sysinstall program, that has an easier handling ?!

I've seen too many people shoot themselves in the foot with sysinstall
on a running system.  There's another message floating around in
-questions at the moment which says that it core dumps.  What we
desperately need is a 'diskadd' program which bases on sysinstall, but
which performs appropriate checks and functions for a running system.
Unfortunately, nobody's got round to doing it yet.

I wrote a new section on using disklabel for "The Complete FreeBSD",
and somebody has offered to change it to HTML.  I suppose I should
tidy up the text and give it to him.  Watch this space.

Greg