Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 1999 10:42:29 -0700
From:      "Scott Worthington" <SWorthington@hsag.com>
To:        <Freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <Steve.Kreha@nstarch.com>, <papalia@UDel.Edu>
Subject:   Re: question regarding adaptec 1520 SCSI card

This is just a follow up to the aic0 driver issue...

It is my understanding that support for the aic0 driver under
3.3 was recently placed into the 3-STABLE branch at the
end of October / beginning of November.  The outlying
issue was that the driver was not camified...that is,
3.x uses camcontrol for the SCSI device drivers and
the aic0 driver was not converted yet--until just
recently.

There is a big push in the mobile community for the
aic0 driver because this allows laptop users have
support again for their SCSI devices.  Mainly, users
who have the Adaptec 1460 PC Card.

While I do not have a 1520 SCSI card, I do have
a 1460 PC Card.  The aic0 driver will compile, but
I have not yet been able to get the pccardd daemon
to work yet.

Finally, you can get the aic0 code by CVSing to
3-STABLE.

I personally use the cvsup program on the workstations
(via ethernet) as well as on my IBM laptop (via ppp) to
get the current stable code of the 3.x branch.

>>> John <papalia@UDel.Edu> 11/15/99 10:09AM >>>
Hi steve,

> I hope this is the correct place for a question of this nature. If not
>please let me know where I should direct the email.
>  I hope you can help. I am upgrading from FreeBSD 2.2 to 3.2.2. The 2.2
>release had a driver (AIC0) and support for an adaptec 152x (AHA1520) =
SCSI
>card. It appears that 3.2.2 does not have this same driver (my system
>doesn't find the CDROM). Do you know if this is true and if so are there
>any plans to have

How do you have the controller defined within your kernel?  I took a look
at my LINT file (for 3.3), and it shows:

# aic: Adaptec 152x
controller      aic0    at isa? port ? cam irq ?

I believe this might be slightly different for 3.2, so you might want to
look at your own LINT file (/sys/i386/conf/LINT).  Also, is your CDROM the
only device on that SCSI card? Or is are there other devices as well?  And
if there are, are they working correctly?

--John