Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 09:32:09 -0700
From:      "Foster, Jim" <JFOSTER@CSKAUTO.COM>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   mount CD-ROM returns "input/output error"

Hi all;

I just put up a FreeBSD box this weekend (2.2.7-RELEASE).  At this point, I
seem to have only one real problem.  I can only access my ATAPI CD-ROM drive
under very certain circumstances.

I have to cold-boot my computer with the CD-ROM that I want to look at in
the drive.  Warm-boots don't make a difference.

If I do the cold-boot, then I can mount and umount until my heart is
content--as long as I don't open the tray.  As soon as I open the tray (the
volume unmounted, of course) and close it again, I can't mount the volume.
It does not matter if it is a different disc or the same one.  It will not
mount until I cold-boot.  This gets old real quick!

I have tried various forms of the mount command and the mount_cd9660 command
directly.  With the mount command I just get an obscure "cd9660: /dev/wcd0a:
Input/output error" (I am doing this from memory).  With the mount_cd9660
command I get a different, but equally obscure command.  Something about not
being able to find the first session.  I then tried using '-s 0' with
mount_cd9660 since that is what '-v' reported, but it still does not work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim