Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 1997 16:51:55 +0100 (MET)
From:      Flemming Jacobsen <fj@schizo.dk.tfs.com>
To:        luomat@peak.org (Timothy J Luoma)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lowest end FBSD router machine possible

Hi all,

> I am looking to put together a low low end FreeBSD machine to ask
> as a ``router'' (is that the right term?) to do what I think it
> called `IP-Masquerading'
>
> Basically I have a cable modem and 2 computers, but only one static
> IP.  I need the 2 computers to be able to talk to one another (NFS)
> and would like to be able to reach the internet through either
> machine.
>
> I have an Ethernet hub (Linksys, 5 port).  I also have an extra
> Intel EtherExpress ethernet card I'd like to use for the new cheap
> machine.
>
> I need to know how low-end I can go.  486dx/66?  What kind of
> additional hardware?

I remember from the time I followed Brent Chapmans firewall
mailing list, that people seemed to agree that a 486dx/66 (with enough
memory to avoid swapping) would do just fine as a firewall for a T1
connection.
Have a look at: http://www.greatcircle.com/firewalls/
You'll want a good serial card with a 16550A chip or equivalent.

	Regards,
	Flemming

--
Flemming Jacobsen               It'll probably say something like "Does not
TRW Financial Systems, Inc.     compute" or "Inoperative parameters". That's