Date:      Thu, 24 Dec 2020 17:20:42 +0100
From:      Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
To:        Michael Grimm <trashcan@ellael.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: git and the loss of revision numbers

Michael Grimm:

> If I do understand it correctly, the switch from svn to git comes with a loss of continuously increasing revision numbers.

Correct.

> Correct? If so I wonder how future security advisories and errata notices will be composed. Will there be a date of the commit besides its hash being reported?

For over TWENTY YEARS, FreeBSD advisories have already contained
the date when the problem was corrected, e.g.:

  Topic:          Several vulnerabilities in procfs [REVISED]
  Category:       core
  Module:         procfs
  Announced:      2000-12-18
  Reissued:       2000-12-29
  Affects:        FreeBSD 4.x and 3.x prior to the correction date.
  Corrected:      2000-12-16 (FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE)
                  2000-12-18 (FreeBSD 3.5.1-STABLE)

I think it is safe to assume that this practice will continue after
the switch to Git.