Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 2003 10:05:23 +0100
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Klintrup?= <skl@securehosting.dk>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from 3.3

itchibahn wrote:
> Hi, I currently have FBSD 3.3-TABLE and wanting to upgrade.  I've
> searched for docs but could't find real helpful info.
>
> Is there anything I should be aware of (besides a good backup) before
> upgrading from 3.3 to 4.7?  Can I just use sysinstall to upgrade?

a sysinstall upgrade SHOULD work (have not tried), however if you want to do
it the buildworld/installworld way you cannot just do a complete update.

One way to do the upgrade is do a sysinstall binary upgrade to get all your
binary files/libs up to date, and then do a buildworld/kernel/installworld -
finishing up with a mergemaster

Always remember to read UPDATING in /usr/src after doing a cvsup - this
should work just fine.

If the machine is important and you don't want to "risk" it - you can
upgrade each minor version one at a time (ie 4.2->4.3 etc etc) doing
buildworlds and reading UPDATING each time tracking every change - this is
the "safe" way to do it, especially if you aren't too sure how to do the
update :-)

Greetings,

Søren Klintrup