Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 2002 02:11:44 -0700
From:      Bill Huey (Hui) <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.org, "Bill Huey (Hui)" <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Subject:   Re: status: native jdk 1.4.0 port

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 11:02:04AM +0300, Alexey Zelkin wrote:
> Not, yet. Mostly my patches. I did not have a time to take a look on p7 yet.

Hey,

I looked at your patches and it'll work for the main thread (from main()), but
it will fail trying to spawn other threads. I had this happen when I was doing
the port at BSDi, where the compiler and other tools that don't spawn threads
worked pretty much flawlessly but blew up when I ran multithreaded GUI apps.

Back then, newly created threads it were failing on asserts, because of a race
in pthreads that wouldn't suspend a thread within an signal/wait exchange in
a condition variable. The missing suspend operation would then allow for the
newly create thread run before the stack could be attached to the garbage
collector, therefore failing.

You'll eventually need to deal with that problem and I suggest that you migrate
to the current stuff in patch 7 and merge the changes in it into your bsd/ tree.
If you get that done, merged, commited, etc... I'll abandon my linux/ tree
and use your stuff. Signal handling in HotSpot is pretty hairy, so replicating
that work wouldn't be the most direct method of getting the HotSpot core
running. Use my stuff in other words. ;)

There isn't an immediately need to do this since you're still trying to get
1.4 to build, but you will need it or some how address these issues to be able
to run the environment correctly once that's done.

That's my suggestion. Open source communication is pretty crappy, so keep
in touch. ;)

bill