Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 2015 10:47:59 -0400
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        krad <kraduk@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Circular dependency between local_unbound and ntpd?

On Jul 14, 2015, at 10:33 AM, krad <kraduk@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> As
>=20
> $ grep REQUIRE /etc/rc.d/ntpd
> # REQUIRE: DAEMON ntpdate FILESYSTEMS devfs
>=20
>=20
> You could set something similar to the following in the rc.conf
>=20
> ntpdate_hosts=3D"a.b.c.d w.x.y.z"
> ntpdate_enable=3Dyes

Thanks for that suggestion.  I assume the "a.b.c.d w.x.y.z" are IP =
addresses, not hostnames, otherwise we'd have the same problem.

The /etc/rc.d/ntpdate startup script has a "REQUIRE: NETWORKING ..." and =
/etc/rc.d/local_unbound has a "BEFORE: NETWORKING" in it, meaning it =
will be running before ntpdate runs.  That means DNS resolution will =
require an accurate clock and, I assume, mean that ntpdate will require =
IP addresses, too?

So, it still comes down to this: do I need to know the IP address of an =
NTP server to be able to use local_unbound safely with NTP?

Cheers,

Paul.

<mailto:paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>> wrote:
> I believe I ran afoul of a circular dependency between local_unbound =
and ntpd on my 10.2-PRERELEASE system.  I use a stock /etc/ntp.conf and =
use ntpd_sync_on_start=3D"YES".
>=20
> Last night, a BIOS settings reset cause my CMOS clock to go WAY out of =
synch for the first time.  No problem, I thought: NTP will correct it at =
boot.
>=20
> Wrong!
>=20
> When my system booted, the time was not corrected.  Also, DNS =
resolution was not working.  I figured out it was because local_unbound =
relies on an accurately set clock, but the clock could not be set =
accurately because my stock ntp.conf requires working DNS resolution to =
reach the NTP servers.
>=20
> That sounds like a potential circular dependency to me.
>=20
> My workaround at the time was to look up 0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org =
<http://0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org/>; on another system; stop ntpd; then do a =
ntpdate using the IP addresses to set the clock. Once the clock was set =
accurately, things were all hunky dory.
>=20
> Does anyone have any suggestion for an automatic way around this?  I =
guess one way would be to put the IP address of an NTP server into my =
ntp.conf file, so at least one would be reachable without needing a =
working DNS?
>=20
> My main concern is for those systems like my Raspberry Pi and =
Beaglebone Black that don't have a battery-backed clock.  I currently =
don't use local_unbound on those, but it seems like I'd encounter this =
problem routinely if I did.