Date:      Tue, 8 May 2018 09:45:58 +0100
From:      Johannes Lundberg <johalun0@gmail.com>
To:        "Zane C. B-H." <v.velox@vvelox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: current state of Intel support

On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 9:34 AM, Zane C. B-H. <v.velox@vvelox.net> wrote:

> On 2018-05-08 03:22, Johannes Lundberg wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 9:01 AM, Zane C. B-H. <vvelox@vvelox.net> wrote:
>>
>> I am curious, where are we at on 11 stable when it comes to support for
>>> newer Intel chipsets? Just wondering how usable X is when it comes to
>>> x5-Z8350 Cherry trail or the like.
>>>

>> Hi
>>
>> I've been running 12-CURRENT with drm 4.9 successfully on Cherry Trail but
>> that was a while ago. Currently all my Atom boards are on a different
>> continent so I haven't been able to do any testing lately with the
>> backported drm code to 11-stable.
>> It should work fine but if there's any issues you can always run with the
>> scfb driver for now. The Z8350 is fast so it can handle software rendering
>> quite good.
>>

> Awesome. On a related note, looking at scfb, it looks like rotattion is
> supported, which is great.
>
> Any way to do this on the console? Looking at some of the GPD Pocket like
> ultra portables and these tend to come up like a tablet, meaning the
> console is rotated.

I'm not sure it's possible to rotate the console but should be doable with
UEFI and newcons. Maybe a suitable summer project for someone? :)
The GPD Pocket looks nice. I probably get one myself when I have more time
to play with it. There is a blog post about running FreeBSD on it here:
https://adventurist.me/posts/0288