Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 22:45:22 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Hiten Pandya <hitmaster2k@yahoo.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [SUGGESTION] - JFS for FreeBSD

Hiten Pandya wrote:
> i wanted to ask if there were any _plans_ to port
> JFS (Journaled File System) to FreeBSD...

Not unless you have plans.  When I was an IBM employee, they would
not change the license, and so it's impossible to ship a CDROM
where it's the boot FS, or boxes on which it is the boot FS, and
still have it be legal, because of the license conflicts.

I fought this for about a year within IBM, before I gave up.

> It is used on IBM MainFrames and Enterprise servers
> for high performance and maximum throughput...

No, it's not.  The Linux JFS is derived from the OS/2 JFS code, not
the good AIX JFS code.

-- Terry