Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 1999 20:05:49 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Jacob Ritorto <jritorto@nut.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot loader loses config each time

On Thu, Apr 08, 1999 at 01:30:07PM -0400, Jacob Ritorto wrote:
> 	Sorry if this is a redundant question, but I just bought the 3.1
> CDROM and Greg's FreeBSD book and upgraded our mail machine at work.  Now
> every time the system boots, I have to configure the kernel with 'boot -c
> kernel' to get my serial port (/dev/cuaa2) to show up (custom kernel). I
> need to fix this Real Soon so I can let this machine run unattended for a
> couple of years ;).
> 	I would have checked the web page for an answer, but I'm in dire
> straits right now because I don't have X running anywhere and lynx is
> munging my screen horribly due to my having an old hercules 8-bit display
> adaptor.
> 	BTW, guessing, I checked the /kernel.config file and all that was
> in it was a 'q'.  Couldn't find any docs on that mechanism..

From the errata:

o  Kernel change information is not saved in the new kernel, even
   though this is claimed to work in the docs.

Fix: The change information is being written out, in fact, but to the
wrong location.  move /kernel.config to /boot/kernel.conf (if it
exists, otherwise there were no changes to save) and add the
following lines to /boot/loader.rc:

	load /kernel
	load -t userconfig_script /boot/kernel.conf
	autoboot 5

This will cause the kernel change information to be read in and
used properly (and you just learned a little about the new 3-stage
loader in the process, so the exercise wasn't a total loss).