Date:      Wed, 3 May 2000 11:25:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Lars Eggert <larse@isi.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   burncd trouble

I have strange problems under 4.0-STABLE with this drive
CD-RW <SONY CD-RW CRX140E> at ata1-master using PIO4
when recodring CDs.

I put in the blank CD, and the drive spins for about a minute until it
settles and seems to recognize the blank. I then do:

hbo# burncd -s 8 audio *raw fixate

which results in this message
burncd: ioctl(CDRIOCOPENDISK): Invalid argument

Looking at the syslog, I see a message saying
May  3 10:27:25 hbo /kernel: acd0: sequence error (disk already open)

This happens with different blank CD-R or CD-RWs, and it doesn't
matter what speed I select or if I try to record audio or data CDs.

After I've seen the above behavior once, the drive will not work again
unless I power down the machine, boot into Windows (where the CD-RW
works fine) and then reboot into FreeBSD. Sometimes I can record a CD
in FreeBSD then, but eventually (often sooner than later), the drive
is getting messed up again.

Lars