Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 09:43:18 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <bob@eng.ufl.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Driver for S3 Savage2000 video chipset?

We got a batch of new systems that have Diamond Multimedia Viper II Z200
video cards.  They use the S3 Savage2000 chipset.

An office mate got his running X on Red Hat Linux after a bit of struggle,
but even when I copy the video settings from his XF86Config, I get bad
scan rates in FreeBSD-STABLE (I used the 20000714 snapshot).  We are
using identical hardware.

XFree86 complains that the chipset is unrecognized, leading me to
believe that I need to update my driver:

     SVGA: Unknown S3 chipset: chip_id = 0x9102 rev. 2
     SVGA: chipset: generic

Do I need to be trying to find a more recent driver, or do I need to
keep looking for a mistake in my XF86Config?

- Bob
Bob Johnson            Senior Systems Programmer
bob@eng.ufl.edu        College of Engineering
                       523 Weil Hall
352-392-9217 Office    University of Florida
352-392-7063 Fax       Gainesville, FL  32611