Date:               Tue, 4 Feb 1997 21:47:50 +1000
From:      "Mark Cheeseman" <cheese@asstdc.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        cheese@apnpc.com.au
Subject:         RAID 5

Is there any support for RAID 5 in FreeBSD? I know about the CCD
driver but striping is not what I'm looking for because the entire
filesystem is dependant on *all* drives working. I really need RAID 5
for reliability, not performance.

I need to build an FTP server starting at about 12GB capacity, but
can't afford the downtime involved in restoring the entire server
from tape if a single drive fails.

If I can't do RAID 5 in software, can anybody share any experiences
with hardware RAID solutions?

Thanks in advance

-mark

--