Date:      Sun, 28 Jul 2002 17:47:26 +0200
From:      =?unknown-8bit?Q?Aur=E9lien?= Nephtali <aurelien.nephtali@wanadoo.fr>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Does FreeBSD like VIA chipsets ?

Hi,

I'm trying to get temperature, fans speeds etc.. from my motherboard, so
i tryed playing with 'device' in the kernel config. As i have a motherboard
with VIA chipsets so i put the following in the config file:

device		iicbb
device		iicbus
device		iicsmb
device		smbus
device		smb
device		viapm

(directly taken from the manual of viapm)

Next boot 'viapropm' is detected. I tried playing with many utils
(xmbmon, lmmon, healthd, even tried to use cpqhealth but it's only for linux)
but there's no way: i cannot get any infos from my MB.
What is more strange is that when i touch some stuff in my kernel config
(i add 'device snp' 'pseudo-device gzip' 'pseudo-device vn' and remove
'device usb') the 'viapropm' detection at boot disapears! and instead there's

isab1: <PCI to ISA bridge (vendor=1106 device=3057)> at device 7.4 on pci0

0x30571106 is the chipID of VIA 82C686 power management chipsets but it's
detected as a bridge (i don't have a lot of knowledge in hardware so i don't
know if this good), here is a pciconf -lv line about this chipset:

isab1@pci0:7:4: class=0x060100 card=0x00000000 chip=0x30571106 rev=0x30 hdr=0x00
    vendor    = 'VIA Technologies, Inc'
    device    = VT82C686A/B ACPI Power Management Controller'
    class     = bridge
    subclass  = PCI-ISA

i don't know if this detected correctly, it's why I ask you, but if this the
case it could be the reason why every utils i tried fail.

In my oppinion, i think there is a way to obtain the MB (or CPU) temprature
as on a laptop when the computer is too hot, the fan goes up; but maybe it's
not directly retrievable.

-- Aurélien

PS: As always, sorry for the bad english :p