Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 09:10:02 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Zippy <seth@freebie.dp.ny.frb.org>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape browser

At 10:59 AM 3/19/99 -0500, Zippy wrote:

>Doubt this would work.  The reason the present system works (Linux
>emulation under FreeBSD) is because it's in FreeBSD's interest to support
>the linux emulation.  The reverse isn't true, unfortunately.

Doesn't matter. WE'd do it, just as AT&T created Plan 9 emulation for
UNIX.

>Telling a
>vendor to make a native port to FreeBSD because the FreeBSD folks are
>maintaining an emulation package for Linux won't fly.  The company would
>be putting its trust in the FreeBSD community to maintain that package.
>If the maintainers decided to drop the package, the company would lose its
>linux market base.

Wouldn't happen. It's open source, remember? They have the source; they
can maintain the emulation. That's the BEST possible insurance.

>Why would they do that when they can port directly to
>linux and tap the market directly?

Because FreeBSD, by some estimates, has 2/3 the installed base of Linux.
If you could increase the potential market for the same SKU by 66%,
why not do it?

>Unfortunately, hype works in the real world.  We need some of it.

We need hype, too. But this would be an opportunity to learn from the
history of OS/2 and not repeat its (perhaps fatal) mistake.

--Brett