Date:      Sat, 24 Nov 2001 15:56:47 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
To:        "Brian T.Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        Philip Pereira <info@wintellect.co.uk>, <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Traditionalist Installation

On Sat, 24 Nov 2001, Brian T.Schellenberger wrote:

> On Saturday 24 November 2001 06:47, Philip Pereira wrote:
> > Hey Everyone!
> >
> > Am a "newbie" (part of the forum too) and love FreeBSD. I've had it only 3
> > months, but can already re-compile my kernel (am please with myself).
> >
> > Just a quick question - I want to learn things the traditional way... Where
> > can I find some FreeBSD compatible applications and how can I compile /
> > install them on my system (avoiding the ports collection, etc.)
>
> I have no clue why you'd want to avoid the ports, but if you want to do so,
> just check the net for the source .tgz files of your favorite application,
> download, untar and unzip it, and then follow the make file.
>
> Or you can "cheat" and use te ports to figure out where the sources live.
>
> Mind you, I can't see what possible benefit there is in this; personally, I
> use the ports even when I modifiy the sources by hand . . .
It might be interesting though, to a newbie, to see how
things work manually.
Let's say you downloaded some "tarball"  source.tar.gz (or
sometimes source.tgz ) into your /usr/local .
Then you type
# tar zxf source.tar.gz
to decompress (--> # man gzip) and unpack (--> # man tar)
your sources. Then you will find a new directory called
/usr/local/source .
# cd /usr/local/source
# ./configure
to configure your sources and edit the Makefile.
# make
to compile them (sometimes you will need gnu-make instead of
freebsd's make; it would be # gmake then)
# make install
to install your binaries. If everything went well, you can
start your application by typing
# source
now. *But* this will only work smoothly with very well
"caressed" sources. Very often you would have to edit or
even patch things yourself. Ports will do this work for you.
But I think you could try this with the text-browser lynx
yourself.

Good Luck!

Uli.