Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 1995 15:51:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Hittinger <bugs@ns1.win.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: more ifconfig alias problems... (fwd)

> > root@Glock % ifconfig ed0 alias neon netmask 255.255.255.0
>                                                         ^^^^^
> make the netmask on aliases be 255.255.255.255
> there was talk of making this the default when an 'alias' but I don't
> know if it was done

This is probably it, *but also*

At one point when I was fiddling with this a few months ago you had to
completely reboot for these kinds of changes to actually take right.

ifconfig delete didn't clear things up completely.

So if you are experimenting with ifconfigs you might want to reboot
between your experiments just to be sure.

Regards,

Mark Hittinger
Internet Manager
WinNET Communications