Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 1999 09:16:21 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
To:        Andrew Reilly <areilly@nsw.bigpond.net.au>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Warren Welch <wwlists@intraceptives.com.au>, Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>, Ugen Antsilevitch <ugen@xonix.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI modems do not work???

 > And USB?  This reference says that you can (now? soon?) buy a
 > laptop docking station with all of the usual ports, connected
 > only by USB...
 >
 > http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayStory.pl?99093.piusb.htm

That thing looks very simple probably on the USB bus:

root hub
	device hub (internal)
		externally available 4 ports hub
		externally available 7 ports hub
		modem
		serial port
		parallel port
		etc.

 > Hmm.  What sort of level of nesting do we support for this sort
 > of thing?  It's probably possible to buy USB interface cards
 > that plug into ISA, PCI, SCSI?  And vice-versa?

PCI and CardBus to USB. Any one having seen a ISA or PCMCIA variant,
please let me know.

USB->SCSI: E-Shuttle from Microtech / Shuttle or in the Iomega Zip drive

Nick

--
ISIS/STA, T.P.270, Joint Research Centre, 21020 Ispra, Italy