Date:      Sun, 01 Jul 2001 18:55:42 +0000
From:      John Toon <john.toon@btinternet.com>
To:        "Luis A. Burgos" <burgosl@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: linux_base-6.1

Luis A. Burgos wrote:

 > Hi Marcel,
 >

 > I'm sorry I'm taking away some of you valuable time, but couldn't find a
 > better person to ask, after all my posts in the newsgroups has remained
 > unanswered.
 >

 > I want to install Borland Kylix on FreeBSD stable. The current linux
 > emulation distributed with 4.3-stable has the right kernel, but kylix
 > requires glibc 2.2 or greater (or a custom patched version of 2.1) as
 > well s libjpeg version 2.6 or greater.
 >

 > My question is: is is possible to upgrade glibc and libjpeg for the
 > linux emulation on 4.3 stable? If so, how?

Yes, it's annoying, linux-base-6.1 is now badly out of date - can
someone update it please?

My solution was to update via rpm. Because of "circular dependencies"
the way to update is using the --nodeps option initially e.g.

rpm -Uv --nodeps --ignoreos --ignorearch --root /compat/linux
glibc-2.2.3-11.i386.rpm

To find the necessary dependencies, firt run without the --nodeps
option, and it will tell you which files it depends on. Make sure you
install all the dependencies as well, and you'll end up with a nicely
updated system! Once you've updated the "base" system (e.g. the
glibc/libc's, etc.) don't use the --nodeps option.

rpm is in the ports collection if you haven't already got it installed.

John.