Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 08:00:05 -0500
From:      "Chuck O'Donnell" <cao@bus.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   perl config broken?

Using FreeBSD 3.1-STABLE, last cvsup February 24

I had a problem compiling a perl modules that requires dynamic loading
(specifically mod_perl). Compilation breaks when the linker is called.

Look at the following two commands, which are similar to the ones that
perl modules use to automatically determine system flags:

$ perl -MConfig -e 'print "$Config{ld}\n"'
ld
$ perl -MConfig -e 'print "$Config{ldflags}\n"'
-Wl,-E
$

I think "-Wl,-E" is a flag to gcc, telling it what flags to pass to
the linker. So in that case, $Config{ld} should report "cc" or "gcc",
no?

Addionally, cut from `perldoc Config':
       ld   From dlsrc.U:

            This variable indicates the program to be used to
            link libraries for dynamic loading.  On some systems,
            it is ld.  On ELF systems, it should be $cc.  Mostly,
            we'll try to respect the hint file setting.

I did a cvsup and make world last night to make sure that this hasn't
already been addressed, but it hasn't. I will be happy to do any work
(investigation or otherwise) to fix it if someone can offer a pointer
in the right direction with regards to how we maintain the perl build
environment under FreeBSD.

Thanks.

Chuck