Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:53:30 +0100
From:      Robert Downes <nullentropy@lineone.net>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Blocked outbound traffic - what is it?

Having set up IPFW for NAT + stateful rules (as posted to this list
recently, using skipto rules), my firewall setup seems to be doing a
good job. GRC.COM reports all service ports as stealthed, and I seem to
have no problem browsing web pages, checking mail, etc.

But calling ` /var/log/security | grep out` gives a lot of reports of
blocked outbound traffic to port 80 on legitimate websites. And
occassionally to port 110 on legitimate mail servers.

Seeing as I'm not having a problem with web browsing, and my mail
*seems* to be collected without complaint from the client, why is so
much outbound traffic being blocked? What are these packets doing to
offend the IPFW ruleset?

--
Bob