Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 20:30:24 -0600
From:      Steve Price <steve@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>, marcus@marcuscom.com, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bison port

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 05:53:55PM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:

> Then I'm backing out the downgrade and we will just live with 1.30.  This
> PORTEPOCH for life situation is stupid.
>
> Why can't it be removed?  1.31,0 is greater than 1.28,*

Because it tests the epoch first, the version next, and then the
revision.  From pkg_version.pl:

        # Check epoch, port version, and port revision, in that
        # order.
        $rc = &CompareNumbers($e1, $e2);
        if ($rc == 0) {
            $rc = &CompareNumbers($v1, $v2);
            if ($rc == 0) {
                $rc = &CompareNumbers($r1, $r2);
            }
        }

Even if you bring the port back up to 1.30 and remove PORTEPOCH
the people that have 1.28,1 will never see a newer version because
0 is always less than 1.

-steve