Date:      Sat, 11 Feb 2012 15:28:59 -0500
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pfg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   [CFT] ext2/3 nanosecond timestamps patch.

Hello;

I have been working on implementing some ext4 features that can
work in ext3 mode in preparation towards bringing some more
of the ext4 work Zheng Liu did for his GSoC 2010 project.

The first of this features is nanosecond/birthtime timestamping,
which basically means that if the filesystem was created with big
inodes we carry the nanosecond and birthtime stamps that
UFS2 has always supported.

Apparently the appropriate fields in the on-disk inode have been
approved for a long time but support for this in ext3 has not
been widely distributed. In preparation for ext4 most linux
distributions did enable by default such bigger inodes and
some people do use nanosecond timestamps in ext3.

I would really appreciate if ext2/ext3 users test this patch:

http://people.freebsd.org/~pfg/patches/patch-ext2fs-ns_timestamps

It should apply cleanly to 10-current or to a recent 9.0-stable.

IMPORTANT: do avoid testing this patch in old systems that may be
using Extended Attributes.

You will probably not notice any change but do let me know how it
goes.

best regards,

Pedro.

ps. FWIW, while here I also implemented the basic inode versioning
stuff from Lustre but it's doesn't seem to any use:
http://wiki.lustre.org/images/1/16/Inodever-HLD.pdf