Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 1999 11:45:54 +0100
From:      Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@scotty.masternet.it>
To:        "Jason" <jasonc@concentric.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cable Modem Support

At 28/12/99, you wrote:
>I need to know if there is any BSD support for a General Instruments
>Internal Cable Modem.  This modem does not use any Netowrk Inteface cards to
>work but has special software and plugs into a ISA port.

Uhm... some times ago I have to install a FreeBSD box connected to Internet
via  a leased line.
At the beginning the I was very scared about it (I never saw things like
this) but after a while I realized I can treat it like any other modem.
The only difference was that I have not to dial and I don't need a login
sequence.

If you used user ppp ---> ppp.conf:

---> cut here <---
default:
  set ctsrts on
  set parity none
  set server 3000 ""
  set device /dev/cuaa0
  set speed 115200
  set timeout 120

cda0:
  set dial ""
  set login
  set device /dev/cuaa0
  set speed 115200
  set timeout 900
  set log Phase Chat LQM LCP IPCP CCP tun command
  set ifaddr 151.99.150.79 151.99.150.15
  add default HISADDR
  set cd off
---> end <---

Teh modem always take the connection open and they have their configuration
set in their flash.
On the other side there is a Cisco system that provide the autentification,
none in our case.

I use ppp -nat -ddial cda0 to connect...

I hope it can helps

Best Regards,
Gianmarco Giovannelli ,  "Unix expert since yesterday"
http://www.giovannelli.it/~gmarco
http://www2.masternet.it