Date:      Fri, 17 Oct 1997 09:49:39 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Brian N. Handy" <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I have a CD-rom!

> Well, I just shopped around Fry's today and found myself a PCCARD-based
> cdrom.  My laptop supplier just spent two months getting me *another*
> printer-port based unit!  I was pretty annoyed so I just bought the thing
> myself.

> I have a Sony DISCman that comes with the Adaptec SCSI card, $300US.  The
> scsi card appealed to me is mostly why I went with this particular unit.

Are you running the PAO patches?  If not, they it won't work (yet) on
-current since the patches to the driver aren't complete.  Which model
Sony?  I have one as well, and I was hoping to merge in the Sony patches
from PAO into -current to see if it might work.

> The downslide is it's not powered through the pccard port, and I'm
> waffling on that issue.

What's not powered through the port?  The CD player?  There a *really*
good reason for that, mainly battery life.  You're box (and mine) don't
have the battery *oomph* to power the player for anything other than a
short period of time.  My Sony has the ability to throw in a rechargable
battery pack, and also has a base that you can stick a couple of AA
batteries in it as well for 'external' power.

Nate