Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 14:40:31 +0100
From:      Matt Saunders <matts@easynet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems overwriting old BSDI disks?

Hi,

We've upgraded a number of our machines to FreeBSD 2.2.(5|6) from
BSDI BSD/OS 3.1.  Each and every time we do this (reusing the old BSDI
hard disk) sysinstall hangs shortly after it runs, at the "probing
devices" screen.

This is on pretty standard IDE-only hardware.

The only solution seems to be to completely wipe out the old system
with something like DOS fdisk which works, but is a pain.

Has anyone else seen this or is it just us?  Anyone know if there's a
way to fix it?

Cheers,
Matt.
--