Date:       Wed, 30 Aug 2000 11:39:20 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@ALCATEL.COM.AU>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Interface types defined in if_types.h

On 2000-Aug-29 20:26:28 +0200, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl> wrote:
>-On [20000816 17:37], Archie Cobbs (archie@whistle.com) wrote:
>>Peter Jeremy writes:
>>> /sys/net/if_types.h describes itself as:
>>>  * Interface types for benefit of parsing media address headers.
>>>  * This list is derived from the SNMP list of ifTypes, currently
>>>  * documented in RFC1573, now maintained as:
>>>  *
>>>  * 	ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/smi-numbers
>>>
>>> The current version of smi-numbers lists 115 ifTypes that don't appear
>>> in if_types.h (including l2vlan (135) for 802.1q).  FreeBSD also
>>> defines 4 types (IFT_GIF, IFT_PVC, IFT_FAITH and IFT_STF) that don't
>>> match IANA assignments.
>>
>>Hmmm.. we can start by doing the obvious/uncontroversial stuff.
>>That is, go ahead and import any new and non-conflicting types.
>
>This is what I am already doing.
>
>I first moved the KAME added types to the end, just like with NetBSD and
>will add the rest RSN.

/sys/net/if_vlan_var.h defines IFT_8021_VLAN to represent a VLAN (but
defines it as IFT_PROPVIRTUAL - 'proprietary virtual/internal').  This
will presumably move into if_types.h with a value of 135.  Once this
is done, PR kern/19436 can be updated to use this define.  Would you
like patches for this?

Peter