Date:      Tue, 13 May 1997 13:52:26 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: if_de.c ????

Warner Losh stands accused of saying:

> ISA.  Not sure, but I think 8390 based somehow.  There is one that has
> NE83902 on it,

Aha.  83902 is (if memory serves) an 8390 with onboard UTP.  It may have
a serial PROM, but it's definitely an 'ed' candidate.

> while another one has two chips with labeled "MB86950B"
> and "MB86953" (both Fuji parts).  I was told these are all NE2000
> compatible, but I don't know where they are supposed to be on the bus
> or IRQ range.  Oh, a third card: NE86950AB on it (hmmm, looks a little
> familiar).

I don't think these are "real" NE2000's.  The 'fe' driver supports
cards based on the 86960/86965 chipset; it's possible that you may
have some success with this, but the driver is fairly smart about only
identifying cards it actually _knows_ it supports, so you might have
to prod some of its debugging to get a real answer.

> One has jumper blocks clearly labeled, but FreeBSD dosn't recognize
> the card at all.  Might not be NE-2000 compatible?  That's the one
> with the two chips I listed above....

See above wrt. the 'fe' driver.

> Yuck.  Too bad you have to send packets before you know the IRQ is
> correct or not :-(.  The Novell card lives at 0x320 I just discovered.

Yeah, as long as your system boots fairly quickly it's not so bad though 8)

> : The 'problem' with probing wildly for 'ed' cards is just that you have
> : to kick them to make them talk.  If you kick something else instead, it
> : might get upset.
>
> Yes.  I'd love to say "I have a machine with nothing interesting in
> it, please kick at will and tell me what you find out" :-)

It's all possible 8)  I hate having ideas and NO TIME ARGH ARGH ARGH.

*pant*  Sorry about that.