Date:      Tue, 10 Jan 2012 09:25:54 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: starting firefox3 with defined geometry

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 08:45:04 +0100, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there some way to start firefox3 in a defined geometry, something
> like
>
> $ firefox3 -geometry 1024x768

Answer: Yes, but it's not as easy as it could have been.

Unlike nearly every other X11 program, notably the "old"
and "outdated" ones, Firefox does _not_ seem to support
the _standard_ -geometry WxH+X+Y parameter.

However, you can define the window width and height
with command line parameters:

	% firefox -width 1024 -height 768

I've tested this with the Firefox installation I have
here (which is v6.0.1).

Positioning of the window is not possible by this
means. Also note that those parameters do not show
up when you try

	% firefox -h

to get some help, and "man firefox" is of course
fully futile. :-)

There is a "workaround" for the lack of standard
geometry support: You could have Firefox execute
JavaScript instructions at startup

	window.moveTo(100, 100);
	window.resizeTo(1024, 768);

Those can even be provided on the command line.
However, that's a bad excuse for not supporting
what users expect working for 30 years.

> UNIX since V7 on PDP-11, UNIX on mainframe since ESER 1055 (IBM /370)

PDP-11 or K1600? Oh, and EC1056 here (OS/ES SVM OP1). :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany