Date:      Sat, 10 Feb 1996 12:08:16 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        KentH@HNS.St-Louis.Mo.US, julian@ref.tfs.com, terry@lambert.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FS PATCHES: THE NEXT GENERATION

> > I *strongly* disagree with you.  If I change the dev's on my firewall
> > I expect 'em to damn well stay changed and the first time they don't
> > I first go searching for the person that hacked the firewall, then
> > finding nothing, I dump it and rebuild it from scratch assuming that
> > I've just been badly beaten at my game.  Now you tell me that they won't
> > stay that way?  I dump it and get a new o/s.
>
> FWIW, this is almost word-for-word what the folks at USENIX told me
> and Julian will almost certainly never convince me that this is a
> problem that can be dismissed lightly.  I will fight long and hard for
> compatibility because I happen to think that I'm 100% right about how
> users will feel about this, and if no one else will speak for them,
> I will.

Jordan, how does dset work?

I mean, the kernel has some settings for which devices are to be
probed/enabled by default, you change them administratively, and
dset makes the changes persistant.

I guess it's not conceivable that a similar persistance mechanism
could be used for device permissions.

Like the following in /etc/rc assures the persistance of pty
permissions in the current distribution:

	# Whack the pty perms back into shape.
	chmod 666 /dev/tty[pqrs]*

Clearly, the /etc/rc file is the wrong place for this (I see it's
there -- too bad this isn't a devfs so that this ugly wart wouldn't
be necessary).

I see no philosophical difference from one administrative override
that modifies the default kernel and another that modifies the
same file, but operates on different data.

Without a prebuilt tool for doing this, you can accomplish exactly
the same thing, either within /etc/rc, using mtree, or by modifying
the device registration lines on a per driver basis and rebuilding
your kernel.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---