Date:      Sun, 5 Feb 2006 16:30:21 +0100
From:      "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?K=F6vesd=E1n_G=E1bor?= <gabor.kovesdan@t-hosting.hu>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org, www@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: How to handle localized characters ans special symbols?

--JWEK1jqKZ6MHAcjA

On 2006.02.04 20:33:54 +0100, K=F6vesd=E1n G=E1bor wrote:

> I'm translating the FreeBSD webpage to Hungarian. I haven't done too=20
> much so far, because I don't have too much spare time, but I'll finish=20
> this translation. Today, I made a test build. You can see this here:
> http://tux.t-hosting.hu/data
> The most part of it is still in English but there are some translated=20
> pages. The build succeeded quite good, I've found my mistakes easily and=
=20
> managed to build the site, but I have troubles with one of the localized=
=20
> characters. This is The o letter with two commas on it. Its standard=20
> html code is &#337;, but the sgml parser substitutes it with a Q char. I=
=20
> don't see why does it happen and don't know how to fix it. There are two=
=20
> more problematic characters, and they are &reg; and &trade;. They are=20
> also substituted in a wrong way. See:
> http://tux.t-hosting.hu/data/about.html
> You can notice the Z character with a ?? sign after the word Pentium and=
=20
> a " after Athlon.
> How could I correctly display these characters? Please tell me what to=20
> do so that we have a nice Hungarian webpage. :)
>=20
> (I use Firefox and it selects the ISO-8859-2 Central European encoding=20
> automatically.)

I think the problem is that your web server forces a character set
which prevents the character set in the HTML from taking effect:

[simon@zaphod:~] fetch -o /dev/null -vv http://tux.t-hosting.hu/data/about.=
html | & grep Content-Type:

I'm not exactly sure how some of the other translations are handling
using non ISO-8859-1, but since e.g. ja and ru translations use
something which definitely isn't Latin characters I'm sure it can be
done.  See how those translations changes the character set as needed.

--=20
Simon L. Nielsen

--JWEK1jqKZ6MHAcjA

--JWEK1jqKZ6MHAcjA--