Date:      Fri, 6 Aug 1999 19:18:20 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>
To:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        "Eric J. Chet" <ejc@bazzle.com>, Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>, Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, phk@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VMware X11 and -current

On Fri, Aug 06, 1999 at 11:49:33PM +0900, Kazutaka YOKOTA wrote:

> >>                                      ~~~~~             ~~~~~
> >> Symlinks should be ttyv0 -> tty0 and ttyv4 -> tty4.
> >>
> >> Notice ttyv*, not ttyp*
> >>           ~          ~
> >Hello
> >
> >	I had tried it both ways, when I said having them symlinked to
> >ttyv0 and ttyv4 would panic with "fatal trap 12" It was suggested that I
> >use ttyp0 and ttyp4 respectfully.
>
> I don't think ttyp* will work.  I don't know who suggested it to you.
> I have never run Linux X server binaries on FreeBSD, but, I can assure
> you that ttyp* won't work.

I dont know what tty0 is in linux - but why should vmware need a virtual
terminal?

> The ttyp* refers to the "pseudo" tty.  The Linux X server opens tty0
> and tty4 which are "virtual terminals" in Linux.  Virtual terminals
> are named ttyv* in FreeBSD.  If the Linux X server are ever made to
> work in FreeBSD, it must be ttyv* which the X server should be fooled
> to access.
>
> VT_ACTIVATE, VT_WAITACTIVE and VT_GETMODE ioctls are valid only for
> virtual terminals ttyv* and certainly result in error for pseudo ttys.
>
> I suspect that the fatal trap you are seeing has little to do with
> ttyv* symlinks and the real culprit lies somewhere else.

I agree - even with the maybe wrong symlinks to ttyp* I was able to get
the vmware window.

--
B.Walter                  COSMO-Project              http://www.cosmo-project.de
ticso@cicely.de             Usergroup                info@cosmo-project.de