Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 06:49:20 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        nuzrin@goose.net.my
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: options HZ=1000

On Sun, Sep 23, 2001 at 10:15:12PM +0800, nuzrin yaapar wrote:
>It's regarding the options HZ=1000 in the kernel configuration file. Do
>anyone know what impact this setting might have to the overall performance?

I have a couple of systems that have HZ=2000 - primarily for accurate
dummynet timings.  The slowest system is a P-133 and running it at
2000Hz doesn't appear to have caused any problems.  The resultant
background load is of the order of 1% which isn't a problem for me.

Keep in mind that Alpha's run at a fixed HZ=1024 so timing problems
will mostly have shown up and been fixed.  That said, I have found a
problem in the digi(4) driver which has timeouts tied to HZ, rather
than wallclock time - similar problems may crop up in other more
unusual hardware.

Peter