Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 2009 02:48:11 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: how to create a DVD backup filesystem?

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 17:10:46 -0800, Gary Kline <kline@thought.org> wrote:
> 	Guys, I've got several directories off ~kline/ that I want to
> 	store permanently.  Like all my development code in ~/devel, and
> 	all my music mp3's and ogg's in ~/Music, and all my online and
> 	mp3 books from libribox.org in ~/readings.  There are PDF files
> 	and HTML and a slew of other stuff.
>
> 	Can I use K3B or some other GUI program to create a filesystem on
> 	either a few CD's or one DVD?  Right now, I'm cross-backing up
> 	stuff to four live servers.  It's just data, but I would like to
> 	be able to inset it into my optical tray, cd to it and cd to
> 	wherever and read or listen to AND (if some disaster strikes) be
> 	able to copy my files from the disc to the computer.

You would need a "two stage approach".

1.

Create an ISO-9660 file system with a standard RockRidge extension.
This would allow you to master a file system for the CD or DVD which
is usually represented by a .iso file.

2.

You record this file onto a CD or DVD using the "data disc" settings.

Of course, K3B can do this with an implicite step 1 ("on the fly")
with no .iso file hanging around.

> 	I think I figured out how to create a tiny filesystem on a floppy
> 	disc, but this was a Long time ago.

Do you think you can tell me what a "floppy disc" would look like? :-)

Don't confuse "disk" ("floppy disk") and "disc" (like CD or DVD).

> Anything "push-button"?

K3B should be able to generate an ISO-9660 file system with the
standard RockRidge extension.

But if you do consider 3 lines of shell code "push-button", maybe
this is for you:

	% mkisofs -r -o /tmp/kline.iso ~/kline
	% cdrecord dev=1,0,0 speed=32 -v -eject -tao -data /tmp/kline.iso
	% rm /tmp/kline.iso

Don't store the .iso file within the subtree you're recording, this
may lead to infinity. :-)

Of course, you don't need to use cdrecord. The burncd command or
cdrdao will do fine, too.

For a DVD, you need growisofs.

	% growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=/tmp/kline.iso

In my opinion, all this stuff is more "push-button" than trying to
find all the settings in a GUI application. :-)

As a sidenote, I just like to mention that you don't need to use an
ISO-9660 filesystem. Because we're on FreeBSD here, you can use any (!)
file system on a CD or DVD, such as UFS or tar (check advantages and
disadvantages).

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany