Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2017 21:13:22 +0100
From:      Rafal Lukawiecki <raf@rafal.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Does NFS client cache?

Apologies for my FreeBSD newbieness=E2=80=A6coming from CentOS/Amazon =
Linux and on a fast knowledge ramp-up at the moment.

I would like to know if the NFS client in FreeBSD performs any/some/none =
caching of the files clients fetch. I am used to installing fscache =
(cachefilesd, see =
http://people.redhat.com/~dhowells/fscache/FS-Cache.pdf) on Linuxes, =
with an fstab mount flag =E2=80=9Cfsc=E2=80=9D to perform persistent =
caching to the local *disk*. This gives me significant performance =
improvements on the Linuxes I have used. Is this not done at all, or =
done in some other way on FreeBSD? I could not find any relevant ports.

The use case is cloud-based servers caching centrally managed NFS files =
that contain rarely changing config and dev data, however all =
speed-critical data is locally rsynced.

Many thanks and my regards from Ireland,
Rafal
--
Rafal Lukawiecki
Data Scientist and Director=20