Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 13:23:22 -0500
From:      "Matthew Zahorik" <maz@albany.net>
To:        <freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ethernet problem on Tsunami

:  I'll force everything to 100fdx in the morning and report.

Okay, that all worked as soon as the *switch* was forced to 100Mb/fdx.  The
SRM settings and kernel settings really don't matter.  I have the mediatype
set to autoneg and it works fine. [1]

Sounds like the autonegotiation bits of the driver are broken.  I don't have
to force the switch for any other OS on the same hardware. (or other
hardware)

Also, there are absolutely, completely no link or activity lights.  This is
bad from an operational standpoint where NOC guys are running around and
thinking their cables are defective.

Should I submit this as a bug?   Is there any other debugging output can I
add to help figure this out?

Right now, this is an acceptable workaround, but long term I'd like to
see/help get this problem fixed.

Thanks for all the help!

- Matt

[1]  "Works fine" is relative.  The kernel autonegs 100Mb/hdx, the switch is
still forced to 100Mb/fdx.  To get proper operation at higher utilization
without errors you still have to force it, but you can pass low-volume
traffic with ifconfig set with a media of auto.

--
Matthew Zahorik  Director of Systems and Networking - BiznessOnline.com
matt@thebiz.net  President of AlbanyNet Inc. - a BiznessOnline subsidiary