Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 1996 09:39:12 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Tony Clark <tonyc@compnews.co.uk>
Cc:        mac@nibsc.ac.uk, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compaq Contura 486 laptop

[FreeBSD on laptop ? ]
> I am having some mega problems with the PCMCIA modem card though ?

In case you hadn't realized, the stock 2.1R has no generic PCMCIA
support.  There is support for 2 PCMCIA cards, the 3C589 and the IBM
ethernet cards, but nothing else.  These drivers are 'if_zp' and 'if_ze'
respecitively.

> ze: pcmcia slot 0: Psion Dacom~Gold Card PCMCIA Modem~V32bis+Fax.~V5.11~
> ze0 not found at 0x300
> zp: pcmcia slot 0: Psion Dacom~Gold Card PCMCIA Modem~V32bis+Fax.~V5.11~
> zp0 not found at 0x300

You're trying to drive a modem with a ethernet driver. :)

> US Robotics WorldPort modem 14400 2.0
>
> ze: pcmcia slot 0: Intel~MODEM 2400+~iNC110US~A-0~\^Z\^E\^A#~\^A\^C\^[\^S\M-`\M^

The text data you see above you is the CIS tuples which are used by the
driver to determine what hardware you have.  So, the USR modem actually
contains the data 'Intel' 'MODEM 2400+' in it.  If you don't like it,
complain to USR.

> Would appricate some help on getting the PCMCIA modem to work as i need
> to dialin to work to fix problems when they happen, any help in pointing
> me in the correct direction of kernel hacks would be most welcome ?

There are no 'official' kernel hacks as of yet, but the BSD Nomad's have
made alpha patches available, and I'm beating them into beta state as I
add them slowly to the tree.

I'll be adding the PCCARD/APM hooks later today, which leaves me with
some APM compatability hacks, more device driver changes, plus the
user-land code at which point all of the known code will be in.  At that
point we'll have 'beta' level PC-CARD support, which means folks will
have to get back to me to get things fixed which are broken.

In any case, if you need support *NOW*, check out the Nomad's home-page at:

http://www.mt.cs.keio.ac.jp/person/hosokawa/freebsd-pcmcia/

Nate